The Federal Transport Authority – Land & Maritime (FTA) was established pursuant to Federal Law no. (1) of 2006 and was granted its capacities by virtue of Cabinet Resolution no. (52) of 2006 as a federal authority with a legal personality and an independent budget.
• Suggest general policies and draft laws and regulations concerned with land and maritime transport.
• Propose road-usage policies and fees.
• Draw the necessary plans for regulating and improving maritime and land transport both within the UAE and between the UAE and its neighbouring countries.
• Issue navigation permits, licenses and certificates and provide inter-Emirate land and maritime transport services.
• Formulate rules regulating navigation in the high seas, particularly in relation to setting the requirements for granting Emirati nationality to vessels, vessel registration and terms for raising the national flag over vessels.
• Prepare draft conventions or propose accession to international conventions relevant to FTA’s jurisdiction.
• Represent the UAE in international and regional conferences relevant to FTA’s jurisdiction.
• Formulate necessary proposals to develop federal roads construction works.
• Formulate laws and legislation for the land and maritime transport sectors in the UAE.
• Formulate the rules regulating navigation in UAE ports.
1- Maritime transport services:
• Crew services.
• Trade vessel services.
• Leisure boat services.
• Corporate services.
2- Land transport services:
• Operating licences.
• Vehicle operating cards.
• Licensing of guarantors and automobile clubs.
• Cross-border services.
• Inspection of enterprises and vehicles.